Opening up for business!

I did Artists’ Open House with Caroline Wright at her home in Nunhead. Hanging Caroline’s lyrical abstract paintings alongside my street photography is not an obvious curatorial choice. But, oddly, it worked.

Each day of both weekends we had a steady stream of visitors and by late afternoon when numbers swelled it felt quite like a party. We reckon that our personal marketing efforts brought in 80% of visitors, and the DOH booklet the remaining 20%. Fortunately, we acquired a healthy rash of red spots. I do think that making sales is gratifying.Chats with visitors ranged from the meaning of life to the joy of cakes and, yes, art. It was like a marketplace for energy and the exchange of ideas. Very sparky!Caroline and I felt honoured by everyone who had made an effort to see our work. If I had to sum up the experience I would say it was exhilarating and exhausting. But, definitely worth it.- Joan ByrneTracey and Howard Francis visit with new generation of artists.Caroline and Joan enjoy a tea-and-cake break.Visiting artists: Gin Dunscombe, film-maker, and Julie Bennett, who needs no introduction.But is it art?
 
Great thanks to Joan Byrne for giving us an insight into how Artists' Open House is for the participating artists. 
 
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.Thanks to Leonie Cronin for sharing this. A lovely moment! If you have SLWA stories to share email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Thanks to Leonie Cronin for sharing this. A lovely moment! If you have SLWA stories to share email

During her Arts and Humanities Research Council [AHRC] research project Rebecca Fortnum interviewed an important and influential sample of British women artists practicing internationally today. Her interviews and reflections were published as 'Contemporary British Women Artists: in their own words', (I.B. Tauris 2006).

The book is insightful and entertaining. It documents the thoughts, influences and processes of Jananne Al-Ani, Gillian Ayres, Claire Barclay, Christine Borland, Sonia Boyce, Maria Chevska, Tacita Dean, Tracey Emin, Anya Gallaccio, Lucy Gunning, Jane Harris, Runa Islam, Vanessa Jackson, Emma Kay, Tanya Kovats, Maria Lalic, Hayley Newman, Paula Rego and Jemima Stehli and Tomoko Takahashi.

Rebecca will talk about the book with SLWA.

Monday 17th May 6.30 - 8.30 pm. Upstairs room at Dulwich Library. Members and friends: £5 on the door. Non-members: £8.

Many thanks to Fulvio Rubesa for some terrific photos from the Bankside opening.
 
For more of Fulvio's work check out this post on DulwichOnView about his photographs of the furniture at Dulwich Picture Gallery.
 
For a closer look at the pictures and more images from Bankside check out flickr here
Something of a milestone for our website this week - we passed the 100,000 hits mark.
 
Hurrah! With high interest in SLWA around the Bankside show yesterday brought 605 views, highest since our launch party in June 2008.Since we started we've had 413 posts and 173 comments on southlondonwomenartists.co.uk and the members site combined.
 
A good opportunity then to thank all those involved in creating our websites and those who have contributed pictures, articles and ideas.If you have suggestions for us then email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and keep dropping in to see what we're up to next.